Saturday 2 August 2008

Saturday evening and developing OICD

Recently I have gotten into the habit of repeatedly checking email, favourite blogs, Amazon ranking for the Nod offs. I fear I am in danger of developing OICD (obsessive internet checking disorder). So, it was refreshing to see on Susan Hill's blog (just google susan hill and you'll find it) that she is taking a month's leave from the internet (although she will check for emails that may need attention). This sounds like a mighty sensible thing to do.

Whatever anybody says, practically all publishing is vanity publishing. If you are an author the book is your offspring. If you are an editor it is like your adopted baby. I suspect for the sales force and marketing department the books might not have quite the same appeal. In fact, any book that doesn't tow the line is probably just an upstart not worth bothering too much with.

I am not sure what the point of the above paragraph was, but I would not be at all surprised if there are hundreds of authors out there obsessively checking their Amazon ranking. Just like I am doing.