Friday 26 August 2011

I must apologise ...

For doing the unforgivable in blogdom. Disappearing without a trace.

A lot has changed since we got back to Glasgow. I realise now that e- is the future of books. Not all books, but I rest my case on what my neighbour said.

Her husband (like most men) is a gadget kid. He gets tablets for free from his work. His wife (like most women) is a technofraid. Yet she has read more books on her ipad in the last few months than she had done the whole previous year. Her 8 year old son is licking them off the tablet. Both still claim to love physical books.

In a world of e-ase, e-books are the future. Just the cherished ones will make it onto paper.

I don't think we should weep and wail. There are too many other things to get worked up about. It is just the way it is.

This seismic shift might mean that the truly good stuff is treated with respect and books aren't treated as opportunities to discount.

Anyway, nice to be back.

No comments: