Monday 20 June 2011

Is Facebook Yesterdaybook?

The other day my daughter told me that my niece was deactivating her facebook. The reason? She was fed up of reading about other people's wonderful lives. I can empathise with this. The social media existence of today makes out that everyone else is having a ball. For those of us who are not, it can be stressful.

And since I heard that bit of news, I keep coming across other people switching off their facebook pages. As I have never understood mine, I am feeling rather relieved that I might never bother having to get to grips with it.

Another friend told me about her grandson and his attempts to get into college. As soon as he had been accepted he twittered the news. No doubt is 3,000 followers were as relieved as his grandma.

Now call me a cynic but how does a 16-year old boy find 3,000 followers? Is twitter playing the facebook game? Just substitute 'followers' for 'friends'. A design to bolster the twitterer and keep them twittering even more to their invisible band of followers?

The internet can do scary stuff with your mind and well-being. Let's get back to having coffee and climbing trees (if you are under a certain age of course).

No comments: